Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Midnight 123

Your website(s): http://www.myspace.com/midnightonetwothree


Tell us a little about the band. We are called Midnight 1,2,3. We are a 4 piece living and working in Providence, RI. We started out as an acoustic-ish band, but we plug things in now.

When did you first realize that you wanted to start this band? At birth

Tell us about your recent work. We have a record. We hand-sewed the jewel cases and painted them. They’re all different. That’s how we roll.

Can you explain how you decide on the images you use as cover art? We got high and drunk and let the paint fly.

Can you describe the environment and atmosphere you work in for us? Cold and dark.

What other interests do you have besides making music? Flicks. Bookies. Zombies. Pods. Paints. Weeds. Beer.

How have you handled the business side of being a musician? We haven’t.

Have you collaborated w/ other musicians/ artists in the past? Si.

Who and what are your influences? My Bloody Valentine, Sonic Youth, Fugazi, Monk, Vic Tayback, Norman Fell

Looking back, how has your style changed? It’s less filling.

What advice would you give to people just starting out musically? Don’t do it! No, do it.

Where do you record? In Tracy’s basement. Tracy plays guitar and sings and writes.

Has the Internet helped your band? It’s helped us communicate...with the pods.

What inspires you to make music and how do you keep motivated when things get tough in the studio? Vic Tayback inspires us. We bring out the guns.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? In the ground

Have you had any other careers? How have these influenced your career as a musician? I worked at a stake house once and my manager asked me to clean shit off the women’s room wall. I quit.

What are the best and worst parts of your work? The drama. THE DRAMA!!!

Have you studied music in school? Have you studied art at school? I took a course in ceramics in college. I think it was an ashtray. I used it as an ashtray, anyway.

What motivates you to choose the titles for your songs and albums? Drugs.

Do you plan each of your songs in detail beforehand or do they evolve as you create them? They give birth to themselves. It’s actually pretty horrific to witness.

What has the reaction to your work been? People’s scalps have been known to itch.

Do you have the memory of a very special moment in you career? The middle part.

Are there any interesting anecdotes related to your work that you would like to share? There’s a dragon egg in Tracy’s back yard. Her dog, Cali, watches over it very dilligently.

Is there anything that you would like to share with our readers? My toys. Food.

Play list of at least ten favorite songs: Just play Loveless over and over again.

Favorite comic strip/ comic book: Family Circus

Favorite painter/ artist: Egon Schelle (is that how it’s spelled?)

Web sites I visit regularly: Catfancy.com

Magazines I read regularly: Juggs

Last concert/performance attended: Sonic Youth

People in my field whom I most admire: Vic Tayback, Norman Fell

Have any historical figures influenced your work? Sammy Hagar.

Books I’m reading right now: Rings of Saturn, The Moviegoer

Favorite authors, fiction: Brautigan, Russian authors, more...

Favorite author, nonfiction: Vic Tayback

A book that influenced how I live my life: The Master and Margarita

Book or author other people praise, but I never liked: Atwood!!!

TV show I'm not ashamed to admit I watch: After school specials

Movies I love so much I've watched them more than twice: Little Murders, All of Herzog, Zombie

Living person I'd most like to join for dinner and conversation: Tom Waits

Heroes from history: Vic Tayback, Norman Fell

If I had the power to order all of the Providence region to read one book, it would be: The Master and Margarita

And here's why: Because I like it. I LIKE IT!!!