Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Shawn Kilroy Interview


Shawn Kilroy is a musician, actor and filmmaker from Philadelphia...

MD: Tell us a little about the bands you have played with.

SK: I have had the privilege of playing with many of my favorite area musicians over the years. In my earlier days, I played with most of the Three 4 Tens guys, who I grew up with. I have also played and recorded with members of The Cobbs, Manta Ray, Black Landlord, Vibrolux, and Illinois. My last album features Mike SloMo Brenner pretty heavily, as well as Seattle legends Rich Stuverud and Jebney Lewis. Jenny Prescott and my wife Heather Kilroy round out the rest of the disc along with North Lawrence Midnight Singer Joe Boyle. Kevin LeBree is always in there somewhere too!

MD: Tell us about your music...
SK: Little bit of everything in there. Someone wrote an article saying I was an electro artist, and it kind of stuck and that's what I'm known for, but I also play rock and roll, psychadelic, punk, blues, disco, folk, fake-jazz and country & all kinds of pop music.

MD: Have you recorded?
SK: Yes, I've released 3 full-length albums since 2004. The Neon Gate, and Thai Stick Dragon, both self-released. My newest release, this year's, Hessian Love Songs, came out on earSnake, Gemini Wolf's label. All available on itunes. 2 as Kilroy, 1 as Shawn Kilroy.



MD: Where do you record?
SK: The first record was recorded at my old South Philly rehearsal spot. TSD was recorded above the Rocket Cat Café in Fishtown back in 05 when it had more of a crack-house vibe. Now it's a nice apartment, but back then old paint was falling off the walls and windows as Warlocks had sidewalk meetings and I made my beats. Hessian Love Songs was recorded at Pete Rydberg's 1935 Studio down on Bancroft.

MD: Playlist of a few favorite songs:
SK: Fugees - Ready Or Not
Joe Jackson - Steppin Out
Pink Floyd - Cymbaline
Stooges - Gimmee Danger
Sheryl Crow - Oh Marie
Go Go's - Lust to Love
Everything But The Girl - Missing
NRG - Need Your Love (Like the Sunshine)
Steely Dan - Don't Take Me Alive
BeeGees - How Can You Mend a Broken Heart
Iggy Pop - The Endless Sea
David Bowie - Soul Love
Duran Duran - Skin Trade
Visage - Fade To Gray
Bauhaus - She's In Parties
Led Zeppelin - Down By The Seaside
Barbara Streisand - What Kind Of Fool
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Stranger Than Kindness
Neil Young - Will To Love
Tom Waits - Heart of a Saturday Night



MD: What was the last concert/ performance you attended?
SK: Judas Priest, Heaven&Hell, & Motorhead. It was perfect. Metal gets better with age. More evil and witchy.

MD: What are you reading?
SK: Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

MD: Have you held any jobs you'd like to discuss?
SK: I'm producing radio spots for an ad agency in Voorhees. I like it.

MD: Any amusing anecdotes regarding your shows/ performances/ fans?
SK: Johnny Knoxville kept staring at my wife's ass at a show he came to at Silk City.

MD: What are some of your interests?
SK: I don't have any interests. I'm not even interested in making music. I have to do it or I get sick. I'm sure that sounds pretentious and phony, but it happens to be true. I write, record and perform music so that I don't have to live out my bullshit. I try to put the worst of myself into the work. Sometimes it works.


MD: Historical figure you'd like to have a beer with, given the chance?
SK: Barney Rubble, what an actor.

MD: Favorite movies?
SK: Blade Runner, Flash Gordon, American Werewolf in London, Road Warrior.

MD: Favorite comic strips/ comic books/ graphic novels?
SK: Blood: a Tale, Wolverine & Havok: Meltdown, and of course, The Dark Night Returns

MD: Favorite visual artists?
SK: ESPO, DERO, KAIR, PRAEZ, PEP, & MB.

Shawn Kilroy's Website: myspace.com/thaistickdragon