Thursday, May 21, 2009

Angela Davidson Q&A


What is your background? How did you get involved with art?

My mom says I was born with a crayon in my hand. I don't remember not being involved with art.

How would you describe your work?

I do all kinds of things, including painting, but the last couple of years I've been focused on making original crocheted creatures. I would describe them as whimsical, colorful, humorous, and occasionally demented.




Have you studied art in school? What did you like best about the school you attended? What advice would you give to anyone considering going to school vs. doing it on their own?

I went to University of the Arts and majored in painting and drawing for my undergrad. I loved being part of such a diverse artistic community. I would advise someone considering art school that you absolutely must be self motivated and self driven, otherwise you are unlikely to get anything out of art school besides massive debt.

How have you been influenced by the art community? Who/ what inspires you?

There's a big difference between the art community and the crafts community. Both are a source of inspiration, but I have found the crafts community to be much more supportive. I love going to craft shows to see what other people are doing. I am also a little bit obsessed with street art- I love the color and the freedom of it. Most of my favorite art comes from people who haven't been corrupted by art school.

Do you have a career/ job (other than the art you create independently)?

I'm currently in graduate school at UArts, studying art education.


Have you had any careers not related to art?

I waited tables for several years, I worked at Whole Foods for a while, and a few other soul-sucking tedious and torturous jobs…


How have you handled the business side of being an artist?

It's always hard to put a price tag on something that you put your heart and soul into. But I am learning as I go.

What are your goals? What are your plans for the future?

I'm not much of a planner. I can hardly see past this afternoon. If you're not stuck to a plan, the possibilities are endless and you'll never be disappointed.

Do you have side projects you work on? Have you collaborated w/ other artists in the past?

Not so much. When I'm really involved with a project, I have tunnel vision until it's completed.

What was one of the most memorable projects you've worked on?

Recently, the crocheted giant squids, especially Big Al.

What are the biggest changes you've seen in the art world since you got involved?

I would have to say technology has had an enormous impact for artists, for both creating and marketing. I see the digital realm taking over more and more and I have to say I'm a little bit scared.


Favorite painter/ artist:

Definitely Frida Kahlo.

Is there a book that has strongly influenced you?

Ummmm… not really. If I had to pick one, Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Nothing beats a really great epic novel.

What are you listening to?

I'm obsessed with the John Butler Trio right now. Other than that, I'm pretty much stuck in the 90s. Pearl Jam and Ani DiFranco will always be number one in my heart.

Website: AngDavidson.etsy.com